Thai Mussaman Curry Paste
This paste is a Thai variant of the popular Muslim curry
- 1 Mortar and pestle or blender
- 12 whole red chillies dried, seeds removed
- ¼ tbsp shallots chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 stalk lemongrass chopped
- ½ tsp galangal chopped (ginger will do)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 whole cloves
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- Remove the seeds from 12 large dried chillies and soak in hot water for 5 minutes.12 whole red chillies
- Combine chopped shallots, garlic cloves, chopped lemon grass, chopped galangal, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cloves and black peppercorns.¼ tbsp shallots, 5 cloves garlic, 1 stalk lemongrass, ½ tsp galangal, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tbsp coriander seeds, 2 whole cloves, 6 whole black peppercorns
- Bring a wok or large saucepan to a low heat and dry roast the combined ingredients for 5 minutes.
- Grind or blend the ingredients into a powder.
- Add shrimp paste, salt, sugar and oil and combine.1 tsp shrimp paste, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 2 tbsp peanut oil
The paste can be stored in a sterilized glass container in the fridge for up to 3 months.