This Aussie lasagne is a real family pleaser.
- 1 Large frying pan for cooking the meat sauce
- 1 Large saucepan for preparing the bechamel sauce
- 1 Baking dish 27cm x 20cm
- 200 grams Bacon diced
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 whole Brown onion peeled and diced
- 500 grams Kangaroo mince
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 100 grams Mushrooms finely diced
- 1 small Carrot grated or finely chopped
- 2 cups Baby spinach
- 800 grams Tomatoes diced
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Vegemite
- 250 ml Red wine Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/2 cup Oregano leaves fresh
- 4 300 grams Lasagne sheets
- 50 grams Butter
- 50 grams Plain flour
- 300 ml Milk
- 100 grams Cheddar cheese, grated
- 100 grams Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- In a large frying pan, combine the bacon and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the bacon is crispy and the onion is transparent.200 grams Bacon, 1 whole Brown onion
- To the pan add the coconut oil and mince, break up the mince with a wooden spoon while cooking until the mince has browned and cooked through.1 tbsp Coconut oil, 500 grams Kangaroo mince
- Then add the garlic, grated carrot, finely sliced mushrooms and spinach cook until softened approximately three to five minutes.2 cloves Garlic, 100 grams Mushrooms, 1 small Carrot, 2 cups Baby spinach
- Blend in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, vegemite, oregano, and red wine. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low heat and cook for 20-25 minutes, uncovered, until the sauce thickens.800 grams Tomatoes, 1 tablespoon Tomato paste, 1 teaspoon Vegemite, 1/2 cup Oregano leaves, 250 ml Red wine
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour quickly for 2 minutes, or until the mixture is boiling and a thick paste forms.50 grams Butter, 50 grams Plain flour
- Whisk in the milk gradually until it is mixed and the sauce thickens, about five minutes.300 ml Milk
- Remove the sauce from the heat. Stir in the mustard and most of the cheddar and parmesan cheese (reserve some of the cheese to sprinkles over the top of the lasagne) and season with salt and pepper.100 grams Cheddar cheese,, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 100 grams Parmesan cheese,
- Grease the 27cm x 20cm baking dish with butter and preheat a fan-forced oven to 180ºC/360ºF
- Spoon a layer of meat sauce into the bottom of the baking dish, add lasagne sheets then a layer of bechamel sauce. Repeat until all the meat sauce, lasagne sheets and bechamel sauce have been used. End with a layer of bechamel sauce.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Place your prepared lasagne in the oven. Bake until cheese is golden brown on top or about 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven let lasagne rest for 20 minutes. Then slice into 6 pieces.
- Serve with a green salad and crusty garlic bread.
Photo Credits: Sunorwind | Unsplash