Italian Style Fish Stew
Loosely based on Cacciucco, the traditional fisherman's stew from the area around port towns of Viareggio and Livorno in Western Tuscany. This stew is hearty and delicious with some tweeks and twists from other regions and styles.
- 1 Saucepan Large heavy based
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 rashers bacon streaky
- 1 whole red onion chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- ½ bulb fennel small
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 whole red chilli deseeded
- 1 glass white wine dry
- 800 grams plum tomatoes chopped or passata
- ½ whole kent pumpkin peeled and grated (low carb option)
- 500 ml fish stock master stock is good
- 400 gram salmon fillet Australian
- 1 whole octopus chopped
- 1 whole squid chopped
- ½ whole lemon
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp Olive oil for drizzling
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan2 tbsp olive oil
- Chop the bacon into small pieces4 rashers bacon
- Fry the bacon pieces until brown
- Finely chop the onion, celery, fennel, garlic and chilli.1 whole red onion, 2 sticks celery, ½ bulb fennel, 2 cloves garlic, 1 whole red chilli
- Add the onion, celery, fennel, garlic and chilli and cook gently until soft.
- Add the wine, tomatoes or passata, pumpkin, octopus, squid and stock and bring to the boil.1 glass white wine, 800 grams plum tomatoes, ½ whole kent pumpkin, 500 ml fish stock, 1 whole octopus, 1 whole squid
- Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour or until squid is tender.
- Season and gently break up the tomatoes.
- Roughly chop the salmon and add to the pan.400 gram salmon fillet
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until just cooked.
- Taste the soup and season it again with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice, if necessary.½ whole lemon
- Serve drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with the chopped parsley.1 cup flat-leaf parsley, 1 tbsp Olive oil
Grating the kent pumpkin into the stew is from Sicily