Homemade curry powder
The word curry originates from southern India where the leave of the curry tree, from where it takes its name, can be a base ingredient. Curry powder is a concoction of herbs and spices that forms the base of many Indian dishes. The spices typically used in a curry powder include turmeric, coriander, cumin, ginger and of course chilli.
Curry powder can be a mix of any or all of these spices and more. It’s dependent on the region, the dish being cooked and personal taste. So while this homemade curry powder recipe is one that I like, feel free to chop and change the ingredients according to your taste.
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red chilli flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
1. Use a food processor
- Place all the ingredients in the processor and grind until the mixture is a fine powder.
- In an airtight container in a cool dry place.
Some people take great photos and deserve the credit. Follow the links below.