Garfish needs very little cooking, as the flesh is quite delicate. The flavors of this dish does not over power the sweetness of the fish. This is a very quick, light and delightful meal worthy of any table.
- 1 Barbeque grill or Large frying pan
- 1 Mortar and pestle or food processor
- 1 Large bowl non-reactive
- 8 skewers about 15cm or 6 " in length
- 1 whole lemon zest and juice
- 1 small red onion diced
- ½ cup mint loosely packed, chopped
- ½ cup parsley loosely packed, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 whole red chilli chopped
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 100 grams butter warm
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 8 fillets garfish
- Combine marinade ingredients1 whole lemon, 1 small red onion, ½ cup mint, ½ cup parsley, 4 cloves garlic, 1 whole red chilli, 1 tbsp capers, 1 tsp white vinegar, 100 grams butter, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper
- Grind roughly with a mortar and pestle or pulse briefly with a food processor.You still want chunks of the marinade ingredients, but not too fine!
- Combine with garfish fillets in a large bowl.8 fillets garfish
- You can marinade in the refrigerator overnight or for 5 minutes. Depending on your time available.
Prepare the skewers
- Place each fillet on a cutting board. (overlaid with grease-proof paper is a good idea). Roll the fillets from the head end toward the tail, packing in any leftover marinade as you go.
- Place a skewer through each side of the fillet and place two fillets on each pair of skewers.
- Heat the BBQ grill or frying pan to medium-high.
- Cook the skewers for two minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Immediately with a salad of your choice