Crispy Chilli Duck
Crispy Chilli Duck is one of the best ways to enjoy duck with golden, crispy skin contrasting with the tender inside. Taken from a Chinese recipe this lovely dish is great for those unused to wild duck. Make no mistake, it is beaut with farmed duck also. It’s easy to do on the cooktop or BBQ wok burner.
- 1 Wok or deep frying pan
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- 600 ml Olive oil for deep-frying
- 150 ml stock game if you have any, or chicken
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp malt vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 4 duck breasts thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil reserved from frying
- 2 whole red chillies
- 4 cm ginger grated
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 6 spring onions thinly sliced
- 1 whole red or yellow capsicum thinly sliced
- Combine the corn flour, soy sauce and egg yolks in a bowl4 tbsp cornflour, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 2 egg yolks
- Add duck breast strips and mix thoroughly until well covered with the batter4 duck breasts
- Heat the oil in a wok or other deep pan.600 ml Olive oil
- Fry the duck in batches, 1½ to 2 minutes until crispy and brown. separating the strips as it fries.
- Remove from the oil and drain on paper towel. Keep warm until it is all cooked.
- Pour the oil from the wok into a container, reserving 1 tbsp for stir frying and wipe the wok with paper towel.
- In a bowl mix the sauce ingredients thoroughly150 ml stock, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp malt vinegar, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tsp cornflour
- Place the wok on high heat. Add 1 tbsp of oil and stir-fry the ginger, chillies and garlic.2 whole red chillies, 4 cm ginger, 3 cloves garlic, 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add the capsicum, spring onions and fried duck.6 spring onions, 1 whole red or yellow capsicum
- Add the sauce to the wok and continue to stir-fry as the sauce thickens.
- Serve with rice or noodles.